NEW Vancouver Island Coastal Experience April 2020
April 15-19, 2020
5 days, 4 nights (lodgings included)
1st night - Best Western Carlton Plaza, Victoria, BC
2nd, 3rd, 4th nights - West Coast Trail Lodge, Port Renfrew, BC
Limited to 8 participants
Price: $2195 CDN + 5% GST - based on double occupancy
For single occupancy fee $630 CDN + 5% GST (pending space availability)
*workshop in partnership with Shane McDermott / VisionQuest Photography
Over the years I have enjoyed sharing my photography passion with others. Sharing my passion for both landscape and wildlife photography through a variety of workshops and photo tours is a privilege that I continue cherish year after year.
In the last year I have partnered with long time friend and fellow photographer Shane McDermott to offer something very unique in the photography field. The foundation of our teaching is based on "What is in here" as well as "What is out there". The "What is out there" part is often taught (sometimes very well) in photography. This is the part that encompasses the best locations, best light, camera settings, gear selection, etc. But what about the emotions, our thoughts, how we think of ourselves, etc. intertwine with our photography - and how we photograph and see. In other words, how can we photograph what we can't see but with our imagination? Our workshops become unique as we bring to light to the "What is in here" component.
If you are still reading this, you have made the first step about gaining awareness about what is happening within ourselves while we are photographing and uncovering what we call "Revealing the Four Dimensions for Creativity".
In summary, photographing in a beautiful location AND working on how we see what we photograph are both essential in all of our workshops.
Dave is a highly qualified and experienced photographer. His knowledge of the Vancouver Island area allowed him to plan an experience that was second to none. Throughout he was always teaching and helping. The result was a experience from which I learned much about photography and the Vancouver Island coastal area.
Stu, Kelowna, BC
Dave provided an excellent workshop. He is passionate about his profession and photography and as a result, found him to be very engaging and interesting. Dave was clearly interested and willing to determine where your ability levels were at and encouraged you to take the next steps out of your comfort zones to learn and try new techniques. I also found Dave was very generous with his time one on one in the field. I look forward to future workshops with Dave.
Don C, Kelowna, BC
Dave was very clear and concise in his explanations, very helpful when we were out taking photos and he's very passionate about his profession ... highly recommended!
Steve B, Victoria, BC
Revised July 31, 2019
A good physical fitness is required for daily hikes up to 2-3 km in length (small rocks and dirt hiking trails around the Port Renfrew area are fine with decent hiking boots). If you have mobility concerns please contact Shane or myself directly for clarification.
(note this will be detailed in a Welcome Package 30 days prior to the workshop)
Day 1, Wed April 15
Meet at the Best Western Carlton Plaza Hotel at 1pm for check in and meet and greet in the spacious lobby. Late afternoon head to either Beacon Hill Park or Fisherman's Wharf. Evening shoot after dinner in the Victoria Inner Harbour. Stay one night at Best Western Carlton Plaza Hotel in downtown Victoria.
Day 2, Thursday April 16
Meet at Sooke Museum parking lot at 1pm for waterfall shoot at Mary Vine Falls (7 minute drive from the Museum). Following Mary Vine Falls we will head to Shirley Delicious for dinner and head to close by Sandcut Beach for sunset. Check into West Coast Trail Lodge for the remaining 3 nights.
Day 3, Friday April 17
Meet at approx. 6:30am for morning shoot at Fairy Lake Tree (and Roosevelt Elk) or Botany Bay, Port Renfrew. Breakfast is normally at the Coastal Kitchen Cafe around 9-10am. 1-4pm will be dedicated to image review and image processing each day. Sunset shoot at Parkinson Beach / Parkinson Creek. Payzant waterfalls is another option.
(New locations scouted specifically for this workshop).
Day 4, Saturday April 18
Meet at 6:30am for morning shoot at Sombrio Beach, Sombrio Canyon and Sombrio Falls. Note this is a light to moderate level 1 mile walk to the canyon (hiking shoes required). Same breakfast and image processing schedule as above. Sunset shoot at Botancial Beach (the forest walk is amazing down to Botancial Beach too).
(New locations scouted specifically for this workshop).
Day 5, Sunday April 19
Meet at 6:30am for morning shoot, and farewell breakfast. Shane and I will remain in Port Renfrew for the afternoon in case anyone would like to join us for an informal private session at the location of your choice.
It is simply our aim for you to learn as much as possible in our 5 days together and at the same time opening your creativity to a new level and producing amazing images.
What is included:
- 4 nights lodging as outlined above based on double occupancy
- dedicated meeting room for image review and image editing
- bottled water and light snacks
- lots of photography instruction and the "how did I do that?"
What is NOT included:
- daily meals
- transportation to and around Victoria and Port Renfrew (about 2 hrs drive from Victoria Int'l Airport)
- medical insurance (mandatory if you reside outside of BC, Canada)
- trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance (highly recommended)
- your personal items and camera gear
What to bring:
- lots of camera gear (just joking !!!)
- camera body (one full frame, one cropped sensor if you have it)
- 2-3 memory cards (depending on the size you have)
- wide angle lens such as 17-35mm
- mid range zoom such as 24-70mm
- mid range telephoto 70-200mm
- telephoto zoom 80-400, 200-400mm, 200-500mm etc. (for wildlife and landscapes)
- lens filters (neutral density, split grads, polarizers - bring them all)
- the cell phone app called Long Exposure Calculator Version 2.0 by Junel S. Corales (details for the app are included on the checklist email out after registration)
- camera bag (at least water resistant)
- lens clothes (can be misty on the coast)
- water bottle that can attach to outside of your backpack is preferred
- pants / light rain pants
- light jacket / rain jacket
- light sweater
- hiking boots (depending on the water level at sombrio canyon, high cut boots are beneficial)
- hat / cap ... especially for night photography
- tripod (no need for a monopod)
- cable release for long exposure photography
- pen and small note pad for camera bag
- laptop for image storage and editing
Payment & Cancellation Policy:
- $995 CDN + 5% GST deposit required to reserve spot
- $1200 CDN + 5% GST tax balance due 60 days prior to trip start date
- $2195 CDN + GST total trip cost
- single supplement room fee of $630 CDN + 5% GST based on availability
- more than 60 days prior to trip start date, 50% refund
- less than 60 days prior to trip start date, no refunds (unless I can fill your spot)
- payment accepted by PayPal, e-transfer (Canada only), or credit card over the phone