VANCOUVER ISLAND COASTAL EXPERIENCE
Sept 5-8, 2019 (4 spots left)
4 days, 3 nights all inclusive (includes lodgings in Port Renfrew)
limited to 6 participants for each workshop
Price: $900 CDN + 5% GST tax (approx $700 US) - (based on double occupancy)
Single supplement fee: $250 CDN + 5% GST (space limited)
Breakthrough Photography Filters now available at all Dave Hutchison Workshops for demonstration and no risk trial. Over 12 filters available in various sizes (with step up rings for certain lenses).
Also, for the THIS WORKSHOP ONLY, two new locations revealed for PARTCIAPANTS ONLY.
Vancouver Island Coastal Experience Highlights
The Port Renfrew area on Vancouver Island provides an excellent venue for a 4 day photography workshop. I will guide you through the "how to's" to create images using long exposures (one of my personal favourites), long lenses for landscapes, nightscapes, seascapes, forestscapes, waterfalls and wildlife (when available). I have been to Port Renfrew over 30 times and have a very good knowledge of the area. We will create images in areas such as Botanical Beach (Botany Bay), Avatar Grove, Fairy Lake, Sombrio Beach (and canyon), Parkinson Beach, and few more.
I have also reserved a meeting room / space for daily images reviews / critiques, aw well as, live photo editing lessons at the Wild Renfrew Adventure Centre. This has proven to be a very valuable offering for participants at past workshops.
Our host, West Coast Trail Lodge will be our base for the 4 days, 3 nights.
Dinners are offered at the Renfrew Pub and breakfast at the Coastal Kitchen Cafe which has options (including gluten free).
Dave is a highly qualified and experienced photographer. His knowledge of the Vancouver Island area allowed him to plan an experience that was second to none. Throughout he was always teaching and helping. The result was a experience from which I learned much about photography and the Vancouver Island coastal area.
Stu, Kelowna, BC
Dave provided an excellent workshop. He is passionate about his profession and photography and as a result, found him to be very engaging and interesting. Dave was clearly interested and willing to determine where your ability levels were at and encouraged you to take the next steps out of your comfort zones to learn and try new techniques. I also found Dave was very generous with his time one on one in the field. I look forward to future workshops with Dave.
Don C, Kelowna, BC
Vancouver Island Coastal Experience details
A good physical fitness is required for daily hikes up to 2 km in length (small rocks and dirt hiking trails around Port Renfrew beaches but fine with decent hiking boots). If you have mobility concerns please contact myself directly for clarification.
Note, itinerary details are disclosed on the workshop course manual distributed approx. 2-3 weeks prior to workshop start date. The follow is purely a guide.
Thursday, Sept 5 - meet at the Sooke Museum parking lot at 1pm for workshop meet and greet and local surprise shoot. Dinner will be before or after check in depending on conditions. Renfrew Pub has excellent lunch and dinner options (including gluten free).
Friday, Sept 6 - meet at West Coast Trail Lodge parking lot as above at 6:30am ready for the morning photo session. We will aim to have breakfast after the morning photo session (please bring a snack and water). Weather will dictate which location to visit first.
In the afternoon we will visit Avatar Grove or Sombrio Canyon. Dinner will be at 4:30 pm giving ample time for a sunset session at Botancial Beach or Parkinson Beach. Depending on weather (clouds or clear) we can do a night sky session in the Fairy Lake area. This will be in the 9-10 pm range.
Friday will be a full day!!!
Saturday, Sept 7 - similar to above but different locations and new techniques. Time will be allocated for image editing and image review at the Wild Renfrew Adventure Centre.
Saturday will be a full day!!!
Sunday, Sept 8 - meet at the West Coast Trail Lodge parking lot at 6:30am for final morning session - breakfast will be after the session. Note, check out time is 11am. I am also happy to do another photo session or image review after check out. After lunch we say our goodbyes and head home (or photograph more on your own using new skills / concepts).
* Itinerary is subject to change with factors like weather, construction, heavy rain / mud, wildlife activity, etc.
Please call or email myself directly if you have any questions.
What is included:
- 3 nights lodge at West Coast Trail Lodge based on double occupancy
- lots of photography instruction and the "how did I do that?"
What is NOT included:
- daily meals (I will have some bottled water in my vehicle if you forget)
- transportation to and from Port Renfrew and around the Port Renfrew during workshop
- medical insurance if needed
- trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance if applicable
- your personal items and camera gear
What to bring:
- lots of camera gear (just joking !!!)
- camera body (one full frame, one cropped sensor if you have it)
- 2-3 memory cards (depending on the size you have)
- wide angle lens such as 17-35mm
- mid range zoom such as 24-70mm
- mid range telephoto 70-200mm
- telephoto zoom 80-400, 200-400mm, 200-500mm etc. (for wildlife and landscapes)
- lens filters (neutral density, split grads, polarizers - bring them all)
- the cell phone app called Long Exposure Calculator Version 2.0 by Junel S. Corales (details for the app are included on the checklist email out after registration)
- camera bag (at least water resistant)
- lens clothes (can be misty on the coast)
- water bottle that can attach to outside of your backpack is preferred.
- pants / light rain pants
- light jacket / rain jacket
- light sweater
- hiking boots (depending on the water level at sombrio canyon, high cut boots are beneficial)
- hat / cap ... especially for night photography
- tripod (no need for a monopod)
- cable release for long exposure photography
- pen and small note pad for camera bag
- laptop for image storage and editing
Payment & Cancellation Policy:
- $900 CDN + 5% GST tax balance due 30 days prior to trip start date
- 50% deposit required to reserve spot
- single supplement room fee based on availability
- more than 30 days prior to trip start date, 50% refund (unless I can fill your spot)
- less than 30 days prior to trip start date, no refunds (unless I can fill your spot)
- payment accepted by PayPal, e-transfer (Canada only), or credit card over the phone