VANCOUVER ISLAND COASTAL EXPERIENCE
May 2-5, 2019 (2 spots left) or
Sept 5-8, 2019 (4 spots left)
4 days, 3 nights all inclusive (includes lodgings and transport around Port Renfrew)
limited to 6 participants for each workshop
Price: $900 CDN + 5% GST tax (approx $700 US) - (based on double occupancy)
Single supplement fee: $250 CDN + 5% GST (space limited)
Note, If you are booking from an Instagram or Facebook Ad, please either pay full amount by PayPal and I will refund $50 + GST to your account OR pay the deposit by PayPal and I will call you next week to pay adjusted balance by credit card over the phone (less $50 + GST).
Over the years I have enjoyed sharing my photography passion with others. Sharing my passion for both landscape and wildlife photography through a variety of workshops and photo tours is a privilege that I continue cherish year after year.
In the last year I have partnered with long time friend and fellow photographer Shane McDermott to offer something very unique in the photography field. The foundation of our teaching is based on "What is in here" as well as "What is out there". The "What is out there" part is often taught (sometimes very well) in photography. This the part that encompasses the best locations, best light, camera settings, gear selection, etc. But what about the emotions, our thoughts, how we think of ourselves, etc. intertwine with our photography - and how we photograph and see.
Our workshops become unique as we bring to light to the "What is in here" component. If you are still reading this, you have made the first step about gaining awareness about what is happening within ourselves while we are photographing and uncovering what we call "Breaking the Barriers to Creativity".
In summary, we can help you turn Barriers into Opportunities which is the essence of our workshops.
Dave is a highly qualified and experienced photographer. His knowledge of the Vancouver Island area allowed him to plan an experience that was second to none. Throughout he was always teaching and helping. The result was a experience from which I learned much about photography and the Vancouver Island coastal area.
Stu, Kelowna, BC
Dave provided an excellent workshop. He is passionate about his profession and photography and as a result, found him to be very engaging and interesting. Dave was clearly interested and willing to determine where your ability levels were at and encouraged you to take the next steps out of your comfort zones to learn and try new techniques. I also found Dave was very generous with his time one on one in the field. I look forward to future workshops with Dave.
Don C, Kelowna, BC
Vancouver Island Coastal Experience Highlights:
The Port Renfrew area on Vancouver Island provides an excellent venue for a 4 day photography workshop. I will guide you through the "how to's" to create images using long exposures, long lenses for landscapes, nightscapes, seascapes, forests, waterfalls and wildlife (when available). I have been to Port Renfrew over 20 times and have a very good knowledge of the area. We will create images in areas such as Botanical Beach (Botany Bay), Avatar Grove, Fairy Lake, Sombrio Beach (and canyon), Parkinson Beach, and few more.
I have also reserved a meeting room / space for daily images reviews / critiques, aw well as, live photo editing lessons. This has proven to be a very valuable offering for participants at past workshops.
Our host, West Coast Trail Lodge will be our base for the 4 days, 3 nights.
Dinners are normally at the Renfrew Pub which has excellent lunch and dinner options (including gluten free).
Please see itinerary details below.
A good physical fitness is required for daily hikes up to 2 km in length (small rocks and dirt hiking trails around Port Renfrew beaches but fine with decent hiking boots). If you have mobility concerns please contact myself directly for clarification.
Thursday, May 2 - meet at the Coastal Kitchen Cafe parking lot at 1pm for workshop meet and greet (note Coastal Kitchen will look closed but is available to us). Dinner will be before or after check in depending on conditions. Renfrew Pub has excellent lunch and dinner options (including gluten free).
Friday, May 3 - meet at West Coast Trail Lodge parking lot as above at 5:30am ready for the morning photo session. We will aim to have breakfast after the morning photo session (please bring a snack and water). Weather will dictate which location to visit first.
In the afternoon we will visit Avatar Grove or Sombrio Canyon. Dinner will be at 4:30-5pm giving ample time for a sunset session at Botancial Beach or Parkinson Beach. Depending on weather (clouds or clear) we can do a night sky session in the Fairy Lake area. This will be in the 10-11pm range.
Friday will be a full day!!!
Saturday, May 4 - similar to above but different locations and new techniques. Time will be allocated for image editing and image review at the Coastal Kitchen Cafe.
Saturday will be a full day!!!
Sunday, May 5 - meet at the West Coast Trail Lodge parking lot at 5:30am for final morning session - breakfast will be after the session. Note, check out time is 11am. I am also happy to do another photo session or image review after check out. After lunch we say our goodbyes and head home (or photograph more on your own using new skills / concepts).
* Itinerary is subject to change with factors like weather, construction, heavy rain / mud, wildlife activity, etc.
Please call or email myself directly if you have any questions.
What is included:
- 3 nights lodge at West Coast Trail Lodge based on double occupancy
- transportation around the Port Renfrew area during the workshop
- lots of photography instruction and the "how did I do that?"
What is NOT included:
- daily meals (I will have some bottled water in my vehicle if you forget)
- transportation to and from Port Renfrew
- medical insurance if needed
- trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance if applicable
- your personal items and camera gear
What to bring:
- lots of camera gear (just joking !!!)
- camera body (one full frame, one cropped sensor if you have it)
- 2-3 memory cards (depending on the size you have)
- wide angle lens such as 17-35mm
- mid range zoom such as 24-70mm
- mid range telephoto 70-200mm
- telephoto zoom 80-400, 200-400mm, 200-500mm etc. (for wildlife and landscapes)
- lens filters (neutral density, split grads, polarizers - bring them all)
- the cell phone app called Long Exposure Calculator Version 2.0 by Junel S. Corales (details for the app are included on the checklist email out after registration)
- camera bag (at least water resistant)
- lens clothes (can be misty on the coast)
- water bottle that can attach to outside of your backpack is preferred.
- pants / light rain pants
- light jacket / rain jacket
- light sweater
- hiking boots (depending on the water level at sombrio canyon, high cut boots are beneficial)
- hat / cap ... especially for night photography
- tripod (no need for a monopod)
- cable release for long exposure photography
- pen and small note pad for camera bag
- laptop for image storage and editing
Payment & Cancellation Policy:
- $900 CDN + 5% GST tax balance due 30 days prior to trip start date
- 50% deposit required to reserve spot
- single supplement room fee based on availability
- more than 30 days prior to trip start date, 50% refund (unless I can fill your spot)
- less than 30 days prior to trip start date, no refunds (unless I can fill your spot)
- payment accepted by PayPal, e-transfer (Canada only), or credit card over the phone