Long Exposures Workshop - January 2020
Location: Southern Vancouver Island (starting from Victoria)
When: January 25-26, 2020 (2 full days, 1 night)
Suggested lodgings: West Coast Trail Lodge, Port Renfrew, BC (not included)
Limited to 6 participants
Instructor: Dave Hutchison
Cost: $299 + 5% GST
Who should attend: Anyone with a moderate fitness level and the desire to learn creative aspects of long exposure photography
Welcome to my newest workshop offering on Southern Vancouver Island. In my opinion, the winter months of January through to April offer some of the best nature photography found anywhere. My goal with this workshop is to open your creative spirit to create amazing waterfalls images right here at home on the Island and at an affordable price.
Topics covered will include:
- introduction to the "4 Dimensions for Creativity" developed by VisionQuest Photography
- how to compose long exposure images based on cloud / water direction, speed and light that are engaging and sell
- how to properly use filters to slow the shutter speed down to even 15 minutes in some case (usually 5-10 minutes) to create just the "right" effect
- how to create composite images when necessary
- 1 hour of post processing techniques at a rec centre meeting room (TBD) in Victoria, Sunday Jan 26, 7 pm.
Locations will include two new locations that are not listed below (surprise!).
- Mystic Beach
- Sombrio Beach
- Parkinson Creek
- Botanical Beach
- Botany Bay
Note: My workshops are sponsored in part by Breakthrough Photography Filters which provide demo filters for my workshops. I have a wide range of filters available for demo/testing and stock available for sale at the workshop if desired (but it is not essential to buy filters at the workshop in order to attend).
Dave is a highly qualified and experienced photographer. His knowledge of the Vancouver Island area allowed him to plan an experience that was second to none. Throughout he was always teaching and helping. The result was a experience from which I learned much about photography and the Vancouver Island coastal area.
Stu D, Kelowna, BC
Dave provided an excellent workshop. He is passionate about his profession and photography and as a result, found him to be very engaging and interesting. Dave was clearly interested and willing to determine where your ability levels were at and encouraged you to take the next steps out of your comfort zones to learn and try new techniques. I also found Dave was very generous with his time one on one in the field. I look forward to future workshops with Dave.
Don C, Kelowna, BC
A good physical fitness is required for daily hikes up to 2-3 km in length (small rocks and dirt hiking trails around the Port Renfrew area are fine with decent hiking boots). If you have mobility concerns please contact Shane or myself directly for clarification.
Day 1, Saturday, Jan 25
Day 2, Sunday, Jan 26
What is included:
- bottled water
- lots of photography instruction and the "how did I do that?"
What is NOT included:
- daily meals
- transportation to and around Victoria and Port Renfrew (about 2 hrs drive from Victoria Int'l Airport)
- medical insurance (mandatory if you reside outside of BC, Canada)
- trip cancellation / trip interruption insurance (highly recommended)
- your personal items and camera gear
What to bring:
- lots of camera gear (just joking !!!)
- camera body (full frame preferred but not essential)
- 2-3 memory cards (depending on the size you have)
- wide angle lens such as 14-30mm (or close to it)
- mid range zoom such as 24-70mm
- mid range telephoto 70-200mm
- lens filters (neutral density, split grads, polarizers - bring them all)
- the cell phone app called Long Exposure Calculator Version 2.0 by Junel S. Corales
- camera bag (at least water resistant)
- camera rain cover
- lens clothes (can be misty on the coast)
- water bottle that can attach to outside of your backpack is preferred
- rain pants
- rain jacket
- light sweater
- hiking boots (high cut are beneficial in the winter)
- rain cap or hat that is waterproof
- tripod (ESSENTIAL for long exposures)
- cable release or remote for long exposure photography (ESSENTIAL to control your camera shutter speed manually in bulb setting)
- pen and small note pad for camera bag
- laptop for image storage and editing
Payment & Cancellation Policy:
- $150 CDN + 5% GST deposit to reserve spot
- $149 CDN + 5% GST tax balance due 30 days prior to trip start date
- $299 CDN + GST total trip cost
- no refunds, unless I can fill your space then 75% refund applies.
- payment accepted by PayPal, e-transfer (Canada only), or credit card over the phone