Italy - Dolomites & Venice July 2020
July 5-14, 2020
10 days, 9 nights (all lodgings included*)
limited to 8 participants
* workshop in partnership with Shane McDermott / VisionQuest Photography
Workshop base: First two nights in Venice, 6 nights in Italian Dolomite Huts (mountain side motels), final 1 night in Venice
Price $3,995 USD (approx. $5,395 CDN) - CDN tax not applicable
Place holder deposit of $500 US (or $675 CDN) required to reserve spot
based on shared occupancy
THREE WEBINARS NOW INCLUDED WITH ALL
VISIONQUEST PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOPS
PART I - INTRO TO VISIONQUEST
PART II - PREPARATION & PACKING
PART III - POST PROCESSING (AFTER THE WORKSHOP)
Note: If you are registering from Canada, please call with credit card or e transfer funds to firstname.lastname@example.org. The other option is for me to send a PayPayl invoice for Canadian transactions so tax is not calculated.
This is not your traditional photo tour simply meant to get you to the best locations in the best light. That is a given! We've set the bar super high and expect you to come away from this experience feeling completely transformed both as a photographer and as a human being. Regardless if you are a beginner, intermediate or seasoned professional this experience will forever transform the way you approach your photography and open up creative dimensions you've never even thought about.
"This is about opening the EYES of your SOUL to a radically different way of seeing and being"
VisionQuest Photography is a radically transformative experience! It is meant offer breakthrough insights, experiences and profound practices you can take away and integrate into your photography as it evolves overtime.
VisionQuest is unique mindfulness based teaching meant to remove the barriers that obstruct your creative genius and open the eyes of your Soul to new ways of seeing. It gets you to the heart of magical image making!
"In the full presence of this moment, there is no loss, no lack, no limits to the boundless nature of your unique creative expression."
Being revised April 23, 2019
Italy - Dolomites and Venice Introduction
I am feeling privileged to offer such a unqiue photography workshop to a place I absolutely love. When I was in Italy last year and especially when I was in Venice for the last three days, I did not want to leave. I could have stayed another week photographing and exploring that very unique city. Photographing a new location is an excellent way to immerse "yourself"... and capture the essence or what you saw and felt in the moment.
The Italian mountain side hut system is a truly unique experience all by itself. When I first experience the "huts" I had no idea that most of these huts were like mini motels on the sides of mountains. They are equiped with a cafe, restaurant, washrooms, beds with linens (most locations), and very friendly staff (and most speak some English). Check out a few images above that show the huts in the Dolomites!
Yes, it is true Shane and I will ensure you have the best light and locations but we also want you to have an experience of a lifetime. The workshop will centre around "Breaking the Four Barriers for Creativity" which in turn will enable you to make the best images possible.
July 5 - Day 1 - Arrive in Venice - Hotel Cavaletto
July 6 - Day 2 - Venice - Hotel Cavaletto
July 7 - Day 3 - Transfer to Auronzo Hut
July 8 - Day 4 - Walk to Locatelli Hut for 2 nights to photograph The Tre Cime di Lavaredo, also called the Drei Zinnen
July 9 - Day 5 - Stay at Locatelli hut (same as above)
July 10 - Day 6 - Transfer to Cinque Torri hut for 2 nights (Spa visit during the day in Cortina)
July 11 - Day 7 - Stay at Cinque Torri hut (same as above)
July 12 - Day 8 - Lagazuoi hut for 1 night
July 13 - Day 9 - Transfer to Venice - Hotel Cavaletto for 1 night
July 14 - Day 10 - Finish in Venice - fly out (or stay longer if you wish)
* Note, the hut locations are subject to change. All huts have been contacted but they do not accept reservations for 2020 until late 2019. I have reserved the Hotel Cavaletto for our three nights (it books quickly so we go it reserved right away).
What is included:
- first 2 nights stay at the Hotel Cavaletto in Venice (July 5-7, 2020)
- last night stay at the Hotel Cavaletto in Venice (July 13-14, 2020)
- 6 night stay at Italian mountain huts (July 7-13, 2020)
- breakfast and dinner while at the mountain huts are included
- linens and sheets while at the mountain huts (sleeping bags not required)
- all transfers to and from Venice to locations around northern Italy while on workshop
- all park fee and parking fees
What is NOT included:
- out of country medical insurance
- trip cancellation and/or trip interruption insurance
- airfare to and from Venice Airport (Marco Polo International)
- breakfast, lunch, and dinner while in Venice
- lunches while at the mountain huts for 6 days
- coin operated showers while at the mountain huts
- bottled watter (optional)
- gratuities while in Venice or mountain hut lunches (optional)
- any additional baggage charges incurred to get to Venice and while on the trip if applicable
- your personal items and camera gear
What to bring:
- 2 x camera bodies is very beneficial
- 3-4 memory cards (depending on the sizes you have)
- spare camera body batteries
- wide angle lens for landscapes (i.e. 14-30mm full frame)
- mid range wide angle for landscapes (i.e. 24-70mm or 24-120mm full frame)
- mid range telephoto for landscapes (i.e. 70-200mm full frame)
- polarizer for landscape shots (Singh Ray LB Color Combo is our favourite)
- 5 or 6 stop neutral density filter
- 10 stop neutral density filter
- 3 stop soft split graduated filter (and holder) - optional but can be useful
- necessary step up or down rings to work with all your lenses
- tripod is essential (Gitzo GT2545T or GT1545T recommended)
- tripod head (Really Right Stuff BH-40 or BH-30 recommended)
- camera bag with water proof cover
- camera body / lens cover
- several lens cloths
- water bottle
- solid hiking shoes (over ankle support optional)
- sandeles while in Venice are very useful as it can be hot and humid during the daytime
- light water proof rain pants
- light water proof rain jacket
- light sweater(s)(please dress in layers as it can be cool in the morning and evening but warm in the daytime)
- hat / cap
- sunscreen (can be bright on the water)
- pen and small note pad for journaling
- laptop to download memory cards and also for image review / editing
- external backup hard drive (small and USB powered is essential)
- travel inverter for 110 volt devices like laptop (three prong type - this detail will be in the welcome package and can be ordered off Amazon.ca)
- eye pillow and ear plugs while on plane or in shared accommodations
- valid passport
- spending money for incidentals in Euros (300-400 Euros is a guess). Note, not all locations take credit cards for incidentals. More details in the welcome package in the future.
* Our intention is to offer two instructors on this trip (myself and Shane McDermott) and eight participants. However, in the event of an unforeseen circumstance we can't guarantee two instructors.
** Trip pricing is based on shared accommodations.
Payment & Cancellation Policy:
- $500 US place holder deposit
- $1,500 US remaining deposit due by Oct 4, 2019
- $1,995 US balance due by March 4, 2020
- only $500 US place holder deposit can be refunded prior to Oct 4, 2019
- other deposits, no refunds unless we can fill your spot
- payment accepted by PayPal, E-transfer (Canada only), or credit card over the phone
- highly recommend trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance
- out of country medical insurance in mandatory for our out of Canada trips
Over the years I have enjoyed sharing my photography passion with others. Sharing my passion for both landscape and wildlife photography through a variety of workshops and photo tours is a privilege that I continue cherish year after year.
In the last year I have partnered with long time friend and fellow photographer Shane McDermott to offer something very unique in the photography field.The foundation of our teaching is based on "What is in here" as well as "What is out there". The "What is out there" part is often taught (sometimes very well) in photography. This the part that encompasses the best locations, best light, camera settings, gear selection, etc. But what about the emotions, our thoughts, how we think of ourselves, etc. intertwine with our photography - and how we photograph and see.
Our workshops become unique as we bring to light to the "What is in here" component. If you are still reading this, you have made the first step about gaining awareness about what is happening within ourselves while we are photographing and uncovering what we call "Breaking the Barriers to Creativity".
In summary, we can help you turn Barriers into Opportunities which is the essence of our workshops.
Dave is a highly qualified and experienced photographer. His knowledge of the Vancouver Island area allowed him to plan an experience that was second to none. Throughout he was always teaching and helping. The result was a experience from which I learned much about photography and the Vancouver Island coastal area.
Stu, Kelowna, BC
Dave provided an excellent workshop. He is passionate about his profession and photography and as a result, found him to be very engaging and interesting. Dave was clearly interested and willing to determine where your ability levels were at and encouraged you to take the next steps out of your comfort zones to learn and try new techniques. I also found Dave was very generous with his time one on one in the field. I look forward to future workshops with Dave.
Don C, Kelowna, BC